Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Il weekend e l'inizio di scuola

After moving into our apartment, the internet decided not to work so much, so this is the first time I have been able to update since the weekend. I am at our program computer lab!

This weekend presented opportunities to explore Florence, both visually and gustatory. We wandered the citta centro both Saturday and Sunday. I went by myself on Sunday and got lost on purpose. I ended up at the main train station--not advisable at night, but it was daylight so it was fine. The station is named Santa Maria Novella, after the nearby church that is bellisima. I sat on a bench and admired the architecture and pondered life and things--you know, what all the study abroad students do.

I am much more aquainted with Florence now. We went through a goods market and saw the local products (most of which were probably fake). Florence, however, is the number one study abroad destination in the world, and it shows. There are Americans everywhere--which makes it hard to immerse yourself sometimes, but it is also somewhat comforting. I don't like to frequent the establishments geared towards Americans, though. They are a shame to both American and Italian cultures.

I had my first bout of homesickness the other night. It wasn't so severe, but present nonetheless. I'm totally fine now and knew I would be then, but without Facebook to distract me or TV to watch, all I could do was play solitaire and think about the US. I'm great now, though!

School started yesterday! I had Italian through Cooking and Wine Tasting. Marco, il cuoco italiano, is a great teacher and chef. We made spaghetti alla carbonara and a cake with orange zest. I have the recipes and thoroughly intend on bringing them home. Giovanni, an enthusiastic Tuscan and wine producer, introduces us to the fine art of tasting vino toscano. We tasted two whites (one spumante and some other bland one) and three reds, the last of which was robust and tactile. I am learning such sophistacted describers!

Today, I went to my Italian language class and Mariangela wore us out! She speaks only Italian and VERY fast. Wish me luck!

I have two classes later today. In fatto, ho bisogna andare adesso!

Ciao, ciao

2 comments:

  1. This summer can we please have an Italian cooking extravaganza? And you can educate us all about wines...

    ReplyDelete