Thursday, February 18, 2010

Durante la settimana a Firenze

Ciao, fine di settimana! I just got out of class for the weekend (yes, it is 9 am on Thursday) and am so excited for Prague. Prague is the one city that I told myself I could NOT miss in Europe. I have only heard rave reviews about it. Hopefully I can provide more insight on Prague history next week, but the majority of Prague's contemporary history stems from its experiences in World War II. When Nazi's invaded and occupied Prague, its Jewish population (which numbered second-largest in Europe) either emigrated or were killed. I have heard that the memorials and museums dedicated to the lost Jewish population are truly moving. Post-WWII figures state the Jewish population at only 800 (as opposed to 50,000 before the war). After the Berlin Wall fell, modern Prague began to fluorish in to a vibrant and worthy capital. I can't wait!

Thinking about Prague's history with WWII also makes me think about Italy's as well. In my Italian Politics class, we watched the film, Roma: citta aperta (Rome: Open City). During war times, "open cities" are those cities which are mutually agreed to be excluded from bombings and destruction (for the most part) to preserve their historical importance and aesthetic appeal. What an interesting concept! Warlords are savage enough to employ grenades, rocket launchers, etc., as well as various forms of torture, yet are "sophisticated" enough to appreciate art and artistic beauty. Seems quite strange to me. The film, however, depicts Rome during the latter years of WWII during Nazi occupation. It is a poignant reminder of the context surrounding film and culture of the time, the inspirations for public works, and the Italian people's general attitude toward Nazis. I highly recommned the 105 mintue film.

The week was somewhat "normal," if you can say that. Last night, I met up with a friend from home who is studying in Aix en Provence, France. He is stopping in Florence for a few days while on holiday from school. We actually ended up running in to each other on the street (not THAT random because we had inteded to meet up, but none of their French cell phones work in Italy) and going to dinner at Il Gatto e la Volpa (The cat and the wolf). Their pizza fiorentina was benissima!

I should go pack my bag for the 12-hour bus ride to Prague!

1 comment: